Don't have your very own bar set-up at home? I've got you covered. Start with these six bottles, add in a few mixers and liqueurs and you're ready to mix at least 20 different drinks. Add some key hardware and glassware and the world is your oyster.
The liquor recommendations below are basic in their class that play well in mixed drinks.
Liquid Assets-6 Basic Bottles
1. Vodka—A pretty neutral spirit distilled from just about anything, including potatoes, beets, and grapes. Recommendation: Reyka
2. Gin—Never described as neutral, you know exactly where Gin stands, distilled from juniper berries it is a strong aromatic. Recommendation: Beefeater
3. Bourbon Whiskey—This one is American through and through, distilled from corn, most Bourbons come from Kentucky. Recommendation: Old Forester
4. Scotch Whiskey—To be called Scotch, it must hail from the land of Braveheart. Distilled from malted barley, many Scotches have a smoky taste. Mixing recommendation: Famous Grouse
5. Rum—Distilled from sugarcane, Rum is the base for many a tropical drink and most comfortable when shaded by a tiny umbrella. Recommendation: Plantation, 3-year
6. Tequila—Made from the Blue Agave plant, this spirit can make you do very embarrassing things. Recommendation: Olmeca Altos Plata
Plus a Few Add-On’s
· Dry Vermouth
· Sweet Vermouth
· Soda Water
· Tonic Water
· Clamato Juice
· Ginger Beer
· Soft Drinks
Yields These Dividends
· Bloody Mary
· Gin & Tonic
· Jungle Bird
· Lemon Drop
· Mint Julep
· Moscow Mule
· Old Fashioned
· Tequila & Tonic
· Tom Collins
· Vodka & Soda
· Whiskey Soda
· Whiskey Sour
1. Cart/Tray—Keep it all contained with Match’s Round Tray with Handles.
2. Jigger—Measure up with Match’s Jigger.
3. Shaker—Get it nice and cold with Juliska’s Graham Cocktail Shaker.
4. Mixing Glass & Stirrer—Or do it nice and easy with Match’s Martini Pitcher and Longer Stirrer.
5. Strainer—Don’t let it get watered down!
6. Ice Bucket with Tongs—Keep it cool with Juliska’s Florence Ice Bucket & Tongs.
1. Martini Glass--Perfect for the obvious Martini, Daiquiri or Sidecar. Try Juliska’s Carine Martini Glass.
2. Old Fashioned Glass--Ideal for a Manhattan, Whiskey Sour and a Gin & Tonic. You can’t miss with Simon Pearce’s Ascutney DOF or Match’s DOF.
3. Highball Glass—Well-suited for a Tom Collins or Bloody Mary. Look to Simon Pearce’s Ascutney Highball.
I'm Dan Brungardt and have been the proprietor and designer at Home at Last for the past 15 years. I'm constantly inspired by the things I see around me and now I get to share them with you!