1. Embrace the Unexpected—Creativity is memorable. Use a blanket as a tablecloth, top a hurricane with a disco ball...the odder your use of an everyday item, the more your guests will remember it.
2. Bring Back the Good Old Days—Rely on nostalgia to get your guests’ memories rolling. Old family photos, classic board games and a vintage musical playlist are just the ticket.
3. Audience Participation—Press your guests into action with conversation starter place cards or fill-in the blank place mats. The resulting conversations will create new memories while reviving old ones.
4. Dress in Layers—More is definitely more. The impact of two tablecloths, two napkins, three china patterns and a partridge in a pear tree will make your table stand out from the crowd.
5. Ditch the Devices—Nothing kills the mood of a delightful evening more than the blue glow of an iPhone. Without the distraction of Siri, Google, Instagram and Facebook, you will create new meaningful memories every time you gather.
I'm Dan Brungardt and have been the proprietor and designer at Home at Last for the past 15 years. I'm constantly inspired by the things I see around me and now I get to share them with you!